Monday, October 12, 2009

honoring

i haven't written in several days. this past weekend was the "race for the cure" for breast cancer. it was rainy and completely dreary and i woke up, tired to the bone which has been a constant as of late. grief leeches all energy from a person. by eer determination to run this race in the rain carrying a bone from my mothers body in my running shorts and thinking of her last month and remembering what breast cancer did to her. i arrived at linn park and was so amazed by the turn out even in the horrible weather. last year i ran with the name of my mom on the "in celebration" slip of paper worn on my back, this year, i ran with her name on the "in memory" slip of pink paper. in memory, memory, memorize, memorial, memorable. all of those words are now so personal for me, so real and tangible... i ran in MEMORY of my mother. i ran in memory of her spirit, determination, love , tenacity, will, i ran in memory of her as a young bride, mother, woman i ran in memory of her as a dying wife, mother, sister, aunt, grandmother, cousin and friend, dying in body but not in MEMORY... i will never forget this woman, i will always honor her and i will forever be in awe of who this womon was, what this woman gave to me and where she left a mark on me and those who love her. my mom lives in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment